Monday 30 June 2014

Shopping in New Zealand - The Veg Shop


Almost every corner has a bakery, dairy, butcher, chemist, and take out.  No one-stop shopping here!  These tiny markets have most of what you need within walking distance. 

You will not find a Target or Wal-Mart.  There are a few stores like The Warehouse (similar to a Big Lots! or a mini Wal-mart) and PaknSave (I call it Food4less, because that is exactly what it looks like)

Here is our favorite veg shop, Simply Fresh.




Many stores keep banking hours.  Even the mall closes at 6PM Monday through Thursdays.  Need something on a holiday?  Forget it, everything is likely to be CLOSED.








Still, I find the smaller shops charming.  I have a favorite baker, dairy, butcher, and fish and chips spot.  I know all the owners, and they know our family, so when I send a kid on an errand for me, the shop keeper knows what I need.


 
You'll notice some things are cheaper in New Zealand.  Our prices swing wildly depending on what season we're in.  My favourite example is courgettes (zucchini) in winter is $29.99/kg, then $1.99/kg in season.
 
 


 
1 Kilogram = 2.2 lbs



These are Kumara, similar to sweet potatoes.  I'm not sure if they're specific to New Zealand, but you probably won't find them in the States.  They're AMAZING roasted.  Hey, that's a great price for avocadoes!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment