Wednesday 22 January 2014

Soothing Milk, Honey, and Oatmeal Bath



Soothing Skin Chemical-Free with a Milk, Honey, and Oat Bath

One of my guilty pleasures is stealing away for an hour in a hot bath with the eBook tablet.  Having 9 kids, there really isn't a time when I'm not needed, but I take my bath anyway.  Often someone is still crying, even kicking my door or looking through the cracks yelling, "Mom I know you're in there!"  "Mom are you done yet?"  Its a bit of a challenge to relax with that kind of commotion, but what can I do?  I need to take care of me at some point in the day.

As a family we've decided to be more aware of the chemicals we introduce into the home and to avoid unnecessary toxins.  I tossed my normal bubble bath product for an old fashioned technique by using natural ingredients I had in my pantry.  I knew that oatmeal was great externally for rash, eczema, and chaffing, so we found this recipe for personal use.  It took courage to enjoy it because there were all these floaties, but once I stepped in I felt the oats soothing my skin.  If you can't handle the floaties, just tie the ingredients into a cheese cloth and let it steep while you bathe.  The smell is wonderful, too.  You'll notice that it softens skin, so take the opportunity to scrub heels and elbows with a pumice stone.  After the bath, rinse off and apply your favorite moisturizer.  I love Palmer's Cocoa Butter.

Since my initial testing, I have given my 6 month old baby a Milk, Honey, and Oat bath that soothed his nappie rash.  My daughter who suffers from ezcema has also enjoyed it, and now we want to share it with you:

Milk, Honey and Oatmeal Bath

3 cups powdered or fresh organic milk
2 cups dry oats
1 cup raw organic honey
1/2 cup baking soda or epsom salts

Draw a full bath of hot water.  As its filling up, add the above ingredients and stir well.  If you don't like the idea of oatmeal floaties in your bath, you can make a sachet of oats in a cheesecloth, tie at the top, and let it steep. For best results, bathe for 30 minutes or more.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I hide in the bath almost EVERY night with my tablet also! I'm going to try this, I don't have powdered milk however, do you think soy milk will work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lactic acid is the softening agent, which soy isn't going to have. I've done just oatmeal and baking soda before, that was still really nice. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete